Maria asked me to do a post on baby gear I found most useful. Keep in mind, I’m posting from an environmentalist perspective as well as a parent who is practicing Natural Infant Hygene.
1. A sling or carrier of some sort.
If you want a sling, my sister makes beautiful ones.
2.People to bring food for the first few months.
Make a chart at the shower-people were more willing to do this than to clean.
3. A housekeeper
Instead of getting us a housekeeper, my sister gave everyone at my shower a job to do when they came to visit. The only problem is that no one did it! I would collect money at the shower and buy your friends a green housekeeper, even if she/he just comes a few times. Another option would be a doula.
5. Wipe Solution
5. Receiving blankets
6. Hot tots, Bamboozle diapers
These are quite expensive but the are awesome for night time or going out, because they are very absorbant and don’t leak. For the day tome we put her in thin cloth diapers without a cover, so it’s easy to get her out of them ond on to the potty to pee.
7. A swing or bouncy chair to give the mom some time to eat or shower. Try second hand places or craigs list.
8. Baby Bjorn little potty
9. Clothes that are easy to get in and out of-the things that snap all the way are great.
10. Thick baby quilts (we got a few beautiful hand made ones) to lay on the floor and play on.
11. Hooded Towels
12. A few pre-fold diapers.
13. Baby leg warmers.These are also quite easy to make by using old socks or sweater sleeves and adding a draw string at the top.
14. Ann Douglas baby books, particularly The mother of all… series.
15. Clothes appropriate for the season.