While I’m waiting for the baby to arrive I thought I’d do a post on what we are planning to do in order to keep our trash production down when we have the baby. Lots of people ask me about it, and I know people who have done it, so here is a list of how we plan to achieve it. I’ll update after the baby is born!
1. Make sure friends and family know you don’t want packaged items. This has worked fairly well for us so far. At our baby shower, people wrapped gifts in tea towels or reused and still reusable gift bags. We only received a few items in plastic.
3. Use a combination of cloth diapers and EC. We are using Sage Mama, plus a few that a friend made. I also have a template to make more if I have time, but we really like the Sage Mama ones. With using EC, we should cut down on the amount we need, and we are not using bleach or the dryer, so the energy consumpution will stay low too.
4. Use cloth wipes and wipe solution. Soft face cloths work. You can also make your own wipe solution.
5. Use reusable cloth breast pads. Grassroots has organic ones, or they are pretty easy to make, or you get get them at baby or department stores.
6.Use cloth sanitary pads for Mom (me) immediately after the baby is born. These are fairly easy to make, plus Many Moons makes them in extra large specifically for this purpose. I have frozen some in witch hazel as that is supposed to help with the healing process.
7. Before the baby is born, prepare by making as much food as will fit in your freezer, to try and avoid take-out when things get hectic. We made 2 kinds of squash soup, curry, turkish stew and 2 different kinds of cookies.
We also have friends willing to drop by with food, which is awesome!